Taking the boat out for the weekend is a great way to relax and have some fun, but safety should always be the top priority. Although boat insurance is not required in all states, it is still a good idea to have it to protect yourself financially. Here are 3 reasons why you need boat insurance.
1. Required for loans or marinas.
If you have a loan on your boat your lender will often require you to have boating insurance. Marinas typically require proof of liability insurance before you are allowed to launch or moor.
2. Protect your investment.
Boats can cost a lot of money and you should protect your investment with an insurance policy that covers damage, collision, fire, theft, or vandalism. Some insurance policies will also help in cases of breakdowns by sending out assistance. Even if you have a small boat it still can do a lot of damage or cost a lot to recover if it sank.
3. Protect individuals onboard.
Having boat insurance is a great way to make sure you and any passengers are covered if there were to be any injuries. For example, if you were to injure another individual while boating and you didn’t have insurance, you would be held financially responsible for any medical bills. By having insurance your policy will cover it, keeping your finances with you.
Ways to Save on Boat Insurance
- Have multiple policies with the same insurer (for example home, auto, and boat).
- Take a boating safety training class.
- Take advantage of layup periods if you live in the northern United States and only use your boat during the summer months. Some insurance companies will offer you a credit for the months you do not use your boat.
Here at FCIS, we offer very customized policies that will fit your specific needs, whether you go boating recreationally or are a professional angler. Talk to one of our licensed agents today to get a quote based on your needs.